Sunday, July 7, 2024

Transfer Portal Activity

 In my last post, I did a first and solicited comments to initiate a post topic. In the early years, I wouldn't have, as this was an outlet for me and not a platform to garner attention. I have noticed an increased interaction in the comments section and decided to ask the community to break a topic block that uncharacteristically exists for me during the summer.

And Duck came to the plate first.

As I mentioned elsewhere, according to the UTA website, Coach Turner has signed eleven new players, two of whom appear to be freshmen. Those two plus the nine transfers include two centers, three forwards, four guards, and two unknowns. It appears there will not be room left on the court or the bench for many others, so I wonder who, if any of last year's players will be back. Does anybody know?

Wasn't expecting transfer portal activity to be the first topic, but it is certainly a welcomed one, though not for the "right" reasons.

Before I answer the question, I want to make something perfectly clear. As a fan, I hate the transfer portal. It has severely eroded the level of sports I loved, those at the NCAA level. I remember the excitement and anticipation as the mid-to-late aughts Mavericks were at the peak of the program. They garnered more national attention than any team in my memory. Maybe the early '90's or early '80's Mavs did, but I have my doubts. As a student, the early-to-mid 2000's teams were talented and I looked forward to the season.

Now, those teams would be a one and done and different cast would have taken their place the following year. Now I enter each year with a big question mark. The amateur game I loved and grew up in as a student is gone. 

That's not to say there isn't something to love today. It is just a different game. Coaches that adapt to the changes will win, those that don't won't. It is not the same as a fan. I'm a Maverick through and through. I will cheer whoever dons the uniform. It also gives me a greater respect to guys like Shemar Wilson or Brandyn Talbot, who stay longer, despite likely having a plethora of options.

Speaking of Talbot, let's answer Duck's question.

  • Here's the roster for 2023/24:
  • 00 Aaron Cash - graduated
  • 1 Phillip Russell - transferred to Virginia Commonwealth
  • 2 Makiah Williams - transferred to Grand Canyon
  • 3 Dajuan Gordon - graduated
  • 4 Akili Vining - graduated
  • 5 Brandyn Talbot
  • 8 Chauncy Gibson - transferred out, unsigned
  • 11 Dwayne Koroma - transferred to LeMoyne
  • 12 Freds Pauls Bagatskis - transferred to LeMoyne
  • 13 Kade Douglas
  • 22 Shemar Wilson - graduated
  • 23 Sterling Gaston-Chapman - transferred out, unsigned
  • 24 Darrius Miles - transferred out, unsigned
  • 30 Fabio Basili - transferred out, unsigned

In short, two returners at this point will be on the 2024/25 roster. With the Portal closed, I hope that stays unchanged. Between Talbot and Douglas, the Mavs are a legit threat at the three-point line. It also gives a bit of that missing excitement that I mentioned earlier. Those two made some amazing shots.

I'm going to look at a bit of the larger picture. Of the 14 roster players last year, four graduated, four transferred and are currently with a new school, four transferred and don't have a roster spot and two stayed with the team. Ranking specifically by conference ranking (not going to wade in ranking teams within the same conference), one is playing in a tougher conference, one in the same and two in a much, much lower rated conference. The transfer portal isn't the magic pill some people are selling to these players, these kids. 

Looking at past transfers from the Mavs, very, very few can say they did better at their new place. More, way more, basically ended their career by transferring than they did elevate it. For every Chendall Weaver, there's a dozen of Kaodirichi Akobundu-Ehiogu, Nicolas Elame, Montez Young, Jr, Damonze Woods, Jordan Phillips, Grayson Carter, and more. 

As Kevin Hervey showed, if there's talent, the NBA will find it. It's better to play somewhere, anywhere, than sit the bench at a "higher profile" school. Getting a chance to play and be scouted, gain experience and grow their skills can not be under-stated.

Of course, that's to say nothing of the impact Name, Image and Likeness is playing in conjunction with the transfer portal. 

But, as it is, Duck, there are two sharpshooters returning out of 14 players.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, as usual. It's sad to contemplate the fate of the young ball player who opts for the portal, but then is not picked up. Reminds me of a long-ago UTA player named Anthony Texas who declared for the pro draft. I wonder whatever happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what I found.
    https://utamavs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/anthony-texas/4819

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person seems to be Sam Norton. He left after his junior year in 1983/84. He averaged 21.4 points per game and 10.9 rebounds. Coach Snake Le Grande was adamant that he received bad advice from family that pressured him to declare early for the NBA draft. He was the only one of the nine juniors to declare to not get drafted.

    They went 12-16 and 3-9 in the Southland the following year. The Mavs were -4.9 points in the average margin and -7.7 in rebounds. There were five single-digit losses and another five were by 10-12 points. UTA may not have been NCAA caliber, but they likely would have been a much better team.

    ReplyDelete